Was that your message?

What kind of message does it send when you impose on someone's time? As an educator, we have come to expect the chaos that is the third quarter. With so many holidays, short weeks, and unusual schedules, routine is out the window. The lack of routine takes a toll on everyone on campus.  

The third quarter tends to be the most stressful one, too. More work with less time and more pressure is responsible for this slump. Everyone feels the push. This is why it is especially important to be intentional when it comes to your time. Time is valued. Time can't be replaced. Time has meaning. And taking advantage of someone's time also has meaning.

Some recent examples that question the value of time are when a drill pops up in an already busy week, the "Hey, can you just...?", and my all time favorite of a scheduled meeting cancelled at the last minute because something "more important" has come up.  

Is my time not as valuable as yours? I am a team player. I step up when asked. I go above and beyond. And yes, when you schedule something last minute, I am going to be there and give it my all. However, it should be stated, it isn't about the time or lack of it. It is the message behind your last minute changes. The message I get from your actions is that I am not valuable. My time isn't as important as yours. 

So leaders, I encourage you to look at the whole picture, reflect on the meaning, and ask yourself: is this the message I want to send? Actions speak louder than words. Model the model. It isn't about the time; it is about the message.

Comments

Popular Posts